Trantec has worked closely with environmental industries since the inception of the company itself. Our Metering Screw Feeders can often be found in the fields of water treatment and flue gas desulfurization (otherwise known as flue gas scrubbing).
Our Metering Feeders are widely used for their precision, dosing sorbent powders to remove pollutants from either the air or water. The sorbents in question are also known as ‘scrubbing reagents’.
Our powder metering devices are 100% modular in design, offering customisable features to be added by request. Popular modules include:
- Sack Tip Hood – For added ease of use.
- Automatic keg-tip mechanism powered by Belimo motor.
- Gravimetric Feeders (Loss in Weight Feeder, Loss in Weight Batch System, and Gain in Weight Batch System) – Add an integrated weighing base and control system for added precision.
- Motor Drive upgrades – All base model feeders are supplied with AC motor drives as standard. Upgrade to DC, servo, stepper, or stainless motors.
- Level detection probes – Prevent the risk of running equipment empty.
- Integrated safety interlock and switch.
- Cartridge Shaft Seals – Fixed, removable, or disposable options.
- ATEX approved construction – For potentially explosive materials.
- A variety of finishes, including welds as laid, standard, 2B, ground crevice-free, mirror (0.2Ra), bead blasted, and enamel painted (mild steel only).
- Rubber gaskets, and metal detectable silicone gaskets.
Find out more about our available upgrades by visiting our Modules webpage.
Flue-gas scrubbing applications will typically employ a Metering Screw Feeder to dose treatment powders. Powder activated carbon (also known as activated charcoal) is a common method of treatment for exhaust flue gases. More specifically, activated carbon is used for treating the sulphur dioxide (SO2) that is created from incineration process, whether from cremators or fossil-fuel powder plants.
Trantec’s Gravimetric Feeder is equipped with a Reagent Cabinet. The feeding equipment was designed upon being approached by a Europe-based cremator and incineration equipment manufacturer. Their application involved dosing powder activated carbon, as part of a cremator incineration process. Our client sought out accuracy, which is crucial due to the complex nature of their industry.
Taking on the challenge, Trantec set out to design a Loss-in-Weight Feeder that not only is able to achieve the customer’s desired outputs but is also able to execute them with ease and precision. Integrating a load transducer weighing base, using four load cells, the reagent cabinet was to be operated using continuous loss-in-weight configurations. It is controlled by our client’s own pre-existing control systems, although Trantec can supply PLC-based controls for any Gravimetric Feeder. Find out more about our Integrated Control Systems by clicking this link.
Like flue-gas treatment, Trantec supplies a range of Metering Screw Feeders for operation in water treatment facilities.
Water treatment is the name given to any process that removes contaminants from water. The treatment transforms raw water into produce water for human consumption without any risk of sickness or adverse health issues.
A Volumetric Feeder will be often employed to accurately dispense powdered material. Gravimetric Feeders and dissolving feeders are also occasionally used but are less common. The powder is either directly applied or will be used to create a slurry. Trantec’s Metering Screw Feeders will typically use one of the following treatment methods:
- Powder activated carbon/activated charcoal.
- Hydrated lime feed/slaking.
- Dry polymer.
- Clay feed.
- Sodium bicarbonate (pH correcting).
- Sodium hydroxide (pH correcting).